At Maderal Byrne & Furst PLLC, we are Coral Gables nursing home abuse lawyers. If you have concerns about the care a family member is receiving in a nursing home in Coral Gables, or you believe you may be a victim, talk to us. See how we can help you and how you may receive compensation. Call us now.
Legal Help for Nursing Home Abuse Victims
There are dozens of nursing homes in Coral Gables. For the thousands of people who call these facilities home, their safety is the top priority. Unfortunately, abuse is common in nursing homes. The victims suffer terribly — physically, emotionally, and financially.
Our nursing home abuse lawyers represent victims and their families. Maybe you’ve never contacted a lawyer. It’s possible that you’re unsure of what to do about what’s happening. You may not know your legal rights. Just reach out and contact our legal counsel.
Together, we can seek justice and financial compensation for your loved one. Contact us today to ask for your consultation.
Types of nursing home abuse
Nursing home abuse takes many forms. It is often subtle. Any of the following may be abuse:
- Assault and battery, intentionally hurting the victim
- Poor daily hygiene, lack of food, or poor nutrition
- Lack of access to medical care
- Inadequate mobility support so the person is sedentary when they could move with railings, walkers, and other assistance
- Social isolation, not allowing residents to socialize with others in the facility
- Squandering finances, embezzlement, unreasonable charges, failing to allow the person access to their own resources
- Not allowing contact with family members
- Emotional abuse, insults, threats, taunting a resident
- Sexual abuse
Multiple kinds of abuse may co-occur. Of course, the nursing home isn’t going to admit what is happening. Often, residents are unable to speak for themselves or afraid of retaliation.
An experienced nursing home abuse lawyer can investigate and evaluate the situation. It is our goal to hold offenders accountable and protect your loved one’s rights.
Lawyers for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
We have obtained record-setting results for our clients. As former federal prosecutors, we bring a combined 30 years of experience to our practice. We have been a part of multi-million dollar and billion-dollar litigation.
As lawyers for nursing home abuse and neglect, we believe that individual victims deserve quality legal representation. Having a loved one in a home should bring peace of mind, not be the cause of harm. If abuse may have occurred, we can assist you with the legal process. Contact us for a consultation and start your case now.
What can I do in response to nursing home abuse and neglect?
There are several ways you can respond to nursing home abuse and neglect. If someone is in immediate danger, you should call the police. The first thing to do is to secure the person’s safety and prevent future abuse from occurring.
In addition, you may report your concerns directly to the nursing home. They are required to investigate every allegation and submit a report. Florida Adult Protective Services may help, and the Florida Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program also accepts complaints specifically relating to care in long-term facilities.
None of these actions provide your loved ones with the financial compensation they deserve when they are abused. A victim of nursing home abuse may deserve financial compensation. The responsible parties may be liable to pay for the harm that they have caused. Our lawyers can help you with the legal process to pursue justice.
What can a victim receive in compensation for nursing home abuse and neglect?
Injuries for nursing home abuse can be devastating. A victim may have extensive mental trauma that accompanies their physical injuries.
Damages that a victim may receive for nursing home abuse and neglect are:
- Medical bills: The cost of care for all treatment of physical injuries. Diagnosis, surgery, evaluation, stabilization, therapy, and medication should all be included.
- Lost earning capacity: Usually, lost earning capacity doesn’t apply because a person in a nursing home doesn’t work. However, if a younger person is there to recover from an illness or injury, they may have damages in this category.
- Pain and suffering: Abuse is physically painful. What the person goes through physically has value and should be compensated.
- Mental injury and anguish: Part of the harm of nursing home abuse is the mental and emotional toll that it takes on its victim. A victim is in the home for their safety. Then, their trust is betrayed. The mental injury that they suffer should be recognized with appropriate compensation.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are not awarded often. However, they may be appropriate in cases where the behavior is especially egregious. The purpose of punitive damages is to serve as an additional punishment to the defendant and a deterrent to others.
Are you wondering what damages you or a loved one may receive? Our lawyers understand the many factors that determine what a case is worth. Contact us today for a personalized consultation.
Why trust us when you need legal help
We are dedicated injury lawyers handling nursing home abuse claims. We work with clients in Coral Gables, the surrounding regions, and beyond. Our caring team will learn about your situation, ask questions, answer your questions, and explain your rights.
Each case is unique, so we will personalize a plan for your situation. When you need to help a loved one or get justice when you have been wronged, our team has a track record of success that you can rely on.
Free Consultations Available Now
Ask us for your free consultation. There’s no obligation. Time is limited, so don’t wait any longer.
With the help of the Coral Gables nursing home abuse lawyers at Maderal Byrne & Furst, you can achieve justice and financial compensation. Call us to talk to us, or reach out in any way you’re comfortable with.