Elmiron Lawsuit Lawyers in Florida
The Maderal Byrne & Furst PLLC Elmiron lawsuit lawyers are currently representing victims who are suffering from eye problems after using Elmiron for bladder discomfort. Our lawyers are heavily involved in Elmiron litigation, serving on the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee for nationally consolidated cases In re Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2973.
REPRESENTING EYE DAMAGE VICTIMS NATIONWIDE
If you have suffered from eye or vision problems after taking Elmiron, work with the Maderal Byrne & Furst leaders in litigati
on to pursue your case. Our law firm is currently accepting new cases representing victims in compensation claims.
We invite you to contact us to learn more about how we can assist you.
WHY ARE LAWSUITS BEING FILED AGAINST ELMIRON?
Elmiron causes irreversible eye damage. The drug has caused serious complications for thousands of people who have used it.
WHO QUALIFIES FOR AN ELMIRON LAWSUIT?
If you took the drug Elmiron and developed eye or vision problems, you may qualify for an Elmiron lawsuit. Generally, long-term use is required, along with a confirmed diagnosis of a specific form of maculopathy known as PPS toxicity or PPS maculopathy.
SYMPTOMS AND TYPES OF EYE DAMAGE
Elmiron has been linked to a severe eye condition called Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium Maculopathy (PPS Maculopathy).
Some symptoms and related types of eye damage from Elmiron are:
- Trouble adapting from day to night vision
- Blurred vision
- Trouble reading, especially in dim light
- Blindness, including total, unilateral and bilateral blindness
- Macular degeneration, dry macular degeneration, degenerative and pigmentary maculopathy
- Retinal maculopathy
- Halo vision
- Retinal hemorrhage
- Scotoma, blind spots
The specific problems a person encounters may vary. Each case is based on the victim’s unique and personal losses.
Studies Linking Elmiron to PPS Maculopathy
A number of studies link Elmiron to the development of PPS maculopathy:
- Jung, Lindeke-Myers, Jain, JAMA Ophthalmol, Two-Year Outcomes After Variable Duration of Drug Cessation in Patients With Maculopathy Associated With Pentosan Polysulfate Use, 2023 – Finding that maculopathy continues to progress in patients following cessation of PPS drug use.
- Pearce, Chen, Jain, Ophthalmology, Pigmentary Maculopathy Associated with Chronic Exposure to Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium, 2018 – The study researched health histories and symptoms of six adult patients. The patients had a median age of 60. Their median exposure to PPS was over a period of 186 months. The study indicated a possible association of chronic PPS use and maculopathy, as patients showed a range of similar and consistent symptoms including difficulty reading, hyperpigmentation and retinal abnormality.
- Vora et. all, Am J Ophthalmol, A case of pentosian polysulfate maculopathy originally diagnosed as Stargardt disease, Case Rep, 2020 – The case study documents observations and care of a patient who had originally been diagnosed with a genetic eye disease. Additional testing and a review of prescription use indicated maculopathy due to PPS use.
- Scholl, Klaver, JAMA Ophthalmol, Pentosan and Macular Disease – A Causal Association?, 2022.
- Davis, Brady, Creagh, Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, Interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome: epidemiology, pathophysiology and evidence-based treatment options, 2014.
- Hanif, et. all, Ophthalmology, Strength of Association between Pentosan Polysulfate and Novel Maculopathy, 2019.
- Ferguson, Geraets, Barker, Int Urogynecol J., Chronic use of pentosan polysulfate sodium associated with risk of vision-threatening disease, 2019.
- Wein, J Urol., Re: Pigmentary Maculopathy Associated with Chronic Exposure to Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium, 2019.
- Mishra, Patel, Singh, Ophthalmol Retina, Choroidal Neovascularization Associated with Pentosan Polysulfate Toxicity, 2020.
What are the symptoms of pigmentary maculopathy?
Elmiron is uniquely linked to the development of pigmented deposits in the eye. Common symptoms of pigmentary maculopathy include:
- Blurred vision
- Nyclatopia (night blindness)
- Taking a long time to adjust to dark light
- Distorted vision
- Scotoma (a blind spot)
- Trouble reading
- Hyperpigmentation in the eye
- Subretinal depositions of a yellowish color
- Severe vision loss
- Cystoid Macular Edema (CME), cyst-like areas of fluid
- Macular neovascularization (MNV)
WHAT TYPE OF LAWSUIT IS THE ELMIRON LAWSUIT?
The Elmiron lawsuit is a product liability lawsuit. It is a personal injury case from people who were hurt by a drug that was unreasonably dangerous. The purpose of the lawsuit is to compensate victims financially.
Do Elmiron lawsuits have a statute of limitations?
The statute of limitations is the amount of time that a person has to file a legal claim. A statute of limitations applies to Elmiron claims. The exact limit may vary in different states, and may vary from person to person.
Statutes of limitations for dangerous drugs vary by state. For example, in Florida, prior to 2023, it was four years from the injury or two years following wrongful death. The time limit that applies in your situation may be different because of exceptions, changes in the law, and tolling that may apply. Contact us right away if you suspect that you have been harmed by taking Elmiron.
CAN I STILL JOIN THE ELMIRON LAWSUIT?
Our Elmiron lawsuit lawyers are continuing to take cases for victim compensation. To learn more and start your case, contact Maderal Byrne & Furst representatives by phone, email, or at our offices.
Leaders in Elmiron Litigation Nationwide
Maderal Byrne & Furst represents dozens of clients personally, and they are leaders in consolidated litigation as firm partner Frank Maderal has been named to the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee. From their offices in Coral Gables, Florida, the law firm represents victims in complex litigation nationwide and beyond. They are committed to protecting the rights of victims and have a history of achieving groundbreaking results in large and complex litigation efforts.
About the Internal Cystitis Drug Elmiron
WHAT IS ELMIRON?
Elmiron is a prescription drug intended to treat the bladder problem interstitial cystitis. It was approved in 1996 and is manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceuticals.
HOW DOES ELMIRON WORK?
Elmiron’s active ingredient is pentosan polysulfate sodium. It was believed to form a protective layer around the bladder to prevent pain and frequent urination. The layer is meant to insulate the bladder from irritants and bacteria that may cause or worsen interstitial cystitis.
IS ELMIRON POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS?
Studies have shown that long-term use of Elmiron can be dangerous in that it has been linked to a severe eye disease called PPS maculopathy. The disease creates irreversible vision and eye problems.
WHAT IS INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS?
Interstitial cystitis is a bladder condition causing chronic pain and frequent urination. A person with the condition may feel pain or discomfort and a chronic urge to urinate often.
IS EYE DAMAGE FROM ELMIRON PERMANENT?
Eye damage from Elmiron is often permanent or irreversible.
Compensation for Eye Problems from Elmiron
WHAT COMPENSATION CAN I GET FOR AN ELMIRON LAWSUIT?
Compensation that a victim can pursue for an Elmiron lawsuit is meant to reflect their losses. Damages may be categorized as:
- Medical diagnosis and treatment
- Vision and mobility assistance devices
- Lost wages and career path
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Cost of personal care
Losses should fairly represent the range of financial and non-economic damages suffered by a victim. A victim may pursue compensation through a settlement or trial judgment.
IS THE ELMIRON LAWSUIT A CLASS ACTION?
While there are many Elmiron victims and thousands of legal claims, the Elmiron lawsuits are not a class action. Each person is being treated as an individual, and damages are considered separately for each person.
The cases have been consolidated for pre-trial efficiency through a legal procedure called multidistrict litigation, but that is not the same as a class action. A person can still pursue a settlement or trial based on their unique circumstances and what’s best for their situation.
IS THERE AN ELMIRON LAWYER WHO WILL TALK TO ME FOR FREE?
The Elmiron lawyers at Maderal Byrne & Furst, are happy to talk to anyone who may need assistance. There is never a cost to speak to us about your situation.
We know that you may have never dealt with a lawyer before. We invite you to pick up the phone, send us an email, or come to our offices. We’re happy to explain Elmiron lawsuits and how our law firm can help. Consultations are always free for those wanting to learn more about their situation.
HOW DO I GET COMPENSATION FOR ELMIRON?
To get compensation for Elmiron, you must start a legal claim. New cases are being added to consolidated litigation. A victim must take steps to participate by bringing an individual case. Our lawyers are already representing victims, and we are continuing to take cases. Contact us today to begin.
Schedule a Consultation with Our Elmiron Lawsuit Lawyers
Frank Maderal and the team at Maderal Byrne & Furst, are proud to lead Elmiron litigation representing victims. Their team has handled complex, multi-billion dollar litigation. They have conducted dozens of jury trials and argued before the federal courts of appeals. They believe that individuals and families deserve the same caliber of qualified legal counsel as big corporations and governments.
If you have taken Elmiron, please contact our law offices. You may have a case for compensation, and we are prepared to represent you throughout the legal process. Contact us today for a consultation and to start your case.