Have you lost a loved one unexpectedly? We can help. The Maderal Byrne & Furst PLLC law firm is a team of Coral Gables wrongful death lawyers. See what you may receive in compensation and how our lawyers assist families.
Losing a loved one is difficult. You may wonder if the death was preventable. You may already know that someone else is responsible for your family member’s death.
When a wrongful death occurs, surviving family members may have a legal claim. Our team of former federal prosecutors can represent you in the claims process. With more than 30 years of legal experience and courtroom trial experience, we are equipped to protect your rights and pursue compensation.
Serving Families of Victims in Coral Gables
When you unexpectedly lose a loved one, you have important questions.
- What happened to cause my loved one’s death?
- Is someone else legally responsible? Why?
- Do I qualify to receive financial compensation?
- What is a wrongful death claim? How does it bring justice for my loved one?
- How will I cover my loved one’s final expenses and my own financial needs going forward?
- How do I receive financial compensation?
- What is my case worth?
- Is my case strong? What are the strengths and weaknesses?
- Should I bring a claim?
- How can your wrongful death lawyers help me?
Let our lawyers answer your questions. We can give you a personalized review of your wrongful death case. It is our goal to seek justice and the monetary payment you deserve.
The Maderal Byrne & Furst wrongful death lawyers in Coral Gables have been leaders in complex litigation on a national level. Our commitment to the rights of individuals and families is what drives us as we pursue your legal rights.
Representing residents and visitors in Coral Gables
Our offices are in Coral Gables, Florida. We take cases throughout the state. Whether you are a year-round resident, seasonal resident, or visitor, your legal rights are important. Our law firm handles cases of all complexities and circumstances. Our clients are both adults and children. No matter your situation, we want to help.
Contact us today to learn more about your rights following the death of a loved one.
Understanding Wrongful Death Claims
What is a Florida wrongful death claim?
A wrongful death claim in Florida is a legal claim based on someone causing the death of another. It is a civil claim that seeks financial compensation. Family members are the beneficiaries when a close family member dies because of negligence, recklessness, or intentional conduct of another. The wrongful death claim addresses the right to compensation because another party is at fault for the death of the victim.
How do you prove a wrongful death claim?
To prove a wrongful death claim, you present evidence. The evidence must prove each of the following:
- Another party has legal liability. Negligence is the most common standard, but recklessness, intentional misconduct, and strict liability may apply.
- The other party’s conduct caused a wrongful death. The defendant’s wrongful conduct must be the reason that the victim’s death occurred. Our lawyers can help you understand legal causation.
- Damages resulted. Each family member may itemize their losses and seek compensation. The personal representative brings the case, and the family members are the beneficiaries.
In addition to these steps, there are procedural requirements. For example, all potential beneficiaries must be identified in the complaint. Our lawyers understand these rules and how to build your claim.
Who can be a beneficiary of a wrongful death claim in Florida?
Those who can be a beneficiary of a wrongful death claim include:
- Other dependents
What can I recover in compensation by bringing a wrongful death claim?
Some types of losses that you can recover by bringing a wrongful death claim in Florida are:
- Lost services and support from the date of injury until death, plus interest
- Future loss of support and services
- Loss of spousal companionship and protection
- Mental pain and suffering
- Loss of parenting instruction and guidance
- Medical or funeral expenses, if paid by a survivor
The beneficiary’s relationship with the victim is important. The case looks at resources they would have contributed to the surviving family member. Life expectancies of survivors and the victim are considered, and whether children were minors at the time of the victim’s death.
In addition, the decedent’s personal representative may recover on behalf of the estate. They may recover loss of earnings minus support provided to survivors. Projected net loss of accumulation of the estate and medical and funeral expenses may be claimed, if applicable.
Wrongful Death Settlements and Judgments
While you are mourning the loss of your loved one, it can be hard to think about a legal claim. When you work with our team, you have a neutral and objective team working on your case. You have a level playing field with the insurance companies and corporations.
At Maderal Byrne & Furst, our legal team can begin work on your case immediately. When we work on your claim, we will:
- Investigate what occurred and determine legal liability
- File your case, preparing any legal documents necessary
- Assess the case for issues and questions that may be especially important
- Address any legal motions filed by the other party
- Prove your damages and follow the needed steps to claim them
- Answer your questions and provide guidance
- Handle the legal claim in full, including at trial or negotiating a settlement
- Customize your case plan to your goals and the specifics of your situation
Having a Coral Gables wrongful death lawyer means having a legal team that fights for you. We have represented clients in multi-million dollar claims. Your legal matter is so important. That’s why we work diligently for your interests from start to finish.
Free Consultations – Talk to a Coral Gables Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
Consultations with our legal team are always free. There is no obligation. We value our time talking to prospective clients and explaining your rights.
It might be your first time contacting a lawyer. Just reach out by calling, emailing, sending a message, or stopping by our offices. Get the legal representation – and the compensation – that you deserve after losing a loved one. Contact us today.