Are you the victim of a crash with a drunk driver? Get help from a DUI accident lawyer in Coral Gables. Contact Maderal Byrne & Furst PLLC to talk about your case and start today.
Coral Gables Lawyers Representing Victims of DUI Accidents
We are lawyers serving DUI accident victims in Coral Gables and the surrounding regions. If you have been hurt, you may claim financial compensation. Our Coral Gables car accident lawyers represent victims in the claims process.
Your case does not depend on the authorization of criminal charges. Regardless of whether the offender is charged or convicted, you may claim financial compensation when drunk driving causes serious harm.
Compensation for DUI Accident Victims
When you’re the victim of a DUI accident, you likely have significant expenses. Your losses may include the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Property damage, including damage to your vehicle
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional injuries and harms
Your losses are all the ways that you have been harmed because of what has happened. Some losses are easy to calculate, like lost income. Determining suffering and anguish can be more challenging.
Maderal Byrne & Furst wants you to be fully compensated for what has happened. We work to identify all these losses and value them fully. Then we represent you, pursuing your compensation through trial and settlement negotiations until you have justice.
Drunk driving injuries and deaths – the problem
Drunk driving continues to cause injuries and wrongful death in Coral Gables. It is a needless, completely preventable harm. There were 814 alcohol-impaired traffic fatalities in Florida in 2019. These deaths represent 26% of all traffic deaths. Sadly, Florida is above average for traffic deaths involving alcohol as a percentage of the population. (Responsibility.org, Drunk Driving Statistics Map – Florida)
Civil claims for compensation following a DUI
Florida law uses a no-fault system for motor vehicle accidents. However, DUI accidents often produce serious injuries. No-fault laws do not apply when injuries are severe or permanent.
To have a claim for compensation following a DUI, you must prove the following:
- The other driver was drunk driving or under the influence of alcohol
- A crash occurred
- The driver’s intoxication was a legal cause of the accident, and your injuries
- You have damages that meet the no-fault threshold for a direct legal claim
A person may be under the influence of alcohol even when their bodily alcohol content is lower than the legal limit. The results of a breath test or other chemical test may be relevant evidence, but the legal standards are not the same as they are in a criminal case. Our lawyers use every opportunity to prove your right to compensation.
Don’t rely on criminal charges alone.
If a crash occurred, it is likely that law enforcement responded. The offender may be facing criminal charges. There are good reasons that a criminal proceeding isn’t enough for you to truly receive justice.
Some reasons to pursue your own legal case are:
- You decide whether to file a civil claim. You make major decisions throughout the case unlike a criminal case that is controlled by a prosecutor or state attorney.
- The legal burden of proof is lower in a civil case. It’s a separate legal proceeding that may reach a different result.
- A victim may initiate a civil claim whether or not there are criminal charges filed, and regardless of the outcome of a criminal proceeding
- Compensation for the victim is the primary focus of a civil claim. A criminal case gives a victim only the possibility of limited reimbursement for losses.
- In a civil case, there may be insurance policies and additional third parties that may pay damages. These additional resources may prove vital to recovering compensation.
- You may have the attorney of your choice represent you throughout the proceedings.
Can I bring a lawsuit because of a DUI accident?
If you have:
- Permanent injury
- Significant loss of important bodily function
You may qualify to bring a lawsuit because of a DUI accident. In some cases, you may claim damages directly from the offender, their insurance company, or even other parties. In addition, a wrongful death claim may be appropriate if you have lost a loved one because of a drunk driving accident.
Our lawyers represent victims in legal claims for justice and financial compensation following DUI accidents. We invite you to contact us today.
Experienced Legal Representation for DUI Victims
Pursuing a DUI claim can be complex. Law enforcement may have investigated and preserved some evidence. Maybe their investigation was lacking in key points. You need an experienced Coral Gables DUI accident lawyer to protect your rights.
Here are some of the reasons that hundreds of people have relied on our lawyers when they need justice:
- Former federal prosecutors who understand the scientific and evidentiary technicalities that are important in DUI claims
- Seasoned trial lawyers who have presented complex issues in court
- Resolution of cases through both trial and settlement. Each case plan is personalized for your situation
- We have a track record of success leading in complex litigation. We will put the same effort and dedication into your case
- Free consultations. At your consultation, we learn about your situation, explain the law, and discuss your options. Get answers to all your questions
- Contingency fees used whenever possible. Our fee agreements are always in writing
We’ve been a part of groundbreaking litigation. For each of the hundreds of clients we have served, we put our experience to work, going above and beyond for them. We are proud to serve individuals and families. If you have been a DUI accident victim, we can help you too.