How Do You Exchange Insurance Information After a Crash?

Blog Hero Image

January 4, 2024

Auto Accidents

After a traffic crash in Florida, you may exchange information immediately with the other driver, get the information from a traffic collision report or use an exchange of information form. The requirements and options depend on whether injuries resulted from the crash, the extent of property damage and direction from law enforcement. If a long-form police report is not required, officers may direct those involved to use an exchange of information form.

Florida Driver Exchange of Information and Self-Report of Traffic Crash Form

FLHSMV Driver Exchange of Information

At Maderal Byrne & Furst PLLC, our Coral Gables car accident lawyers share what you must do to comply with Florida post-accident laws and protect your claim as it moves forward.

Driver Insurance Information Exchange After a Crash – At a Glance

  • When a traffic collision results in injury, death or property damage of $500 or more, drivers must promptly report the collision to the police. (Florida Statutes § 316.065).
  • In most cases, the police will respond to the accident scene. They will prepare a collision report using a long form or short form. To complete the report, they will ask drivers for insurance information. Insurance information will be included in the report. (Florida Statutes § 316.066).
  • If a long-form crash report is not required, the police may instruct the parties to complete an exchange of information form.
  • If reporting to the police is not required, drivers may self-report the collision. The Driver Report of Traffic Crash (Self Report) form contains a place to report insurance information.
  • The driver of any vehicle involved in a crash resulting in injury, death or property damage must provide basic information to others involved. This information includes their name, address, vehicle registration and driver’s license information. (Florida Statutes § 316.062).

Either the police will facilitate the exchange of information through a collision report, or the parties will submit the information themselves.

When a collision involves injury or property damage, the other driver must give you basic personal information, and vehicle and license information. You may seek a copy of the police report to get an insurance policy number for a vehicle involved in an accident. (Florida Statutes § 324.242).

Exchanging Insurance Policy Details After a Collision in Florida

Florida Statutes § 316.066 requires officers to complete a long-form collision report when a traffic accident involves:

  • Death or personal injury
  • A party fleeing the scene of an accident
  • Drunk driving
  • An inoperable vehicle
  • Commercial vehicles

The long form contains insurance coverage information for the parties involved in the crash. Florida Statutes § 316.066(1)(d) requires each party to provide proof of insurance to law enforcement. Law enforcement must include insurance information in their report.

If the long form is not required, the officer may use the short form or instruct the parties to complete an information exchange on their own. The short form includes insurance information.

A self-report form or exchange of information may be submitted by email or mail. There are instructions at the bottom of the form.

Driver Exchange of Information Form

The Florida Driver Exchange of Information Form contains:

Driver information

For each driver:

  • Name
  • Address, city, state, zip code
  • Phone
  • Driver’s license number and state

Vehicle owner information

For each vehicle owner:

  • Name
  • Address, city, state, zip code
  • Phone
  • Vehicle make and year
  • Tag number and state
  • Insurer
  • Insurance policy number

Crash information

  • Address, city and state of crash
  • Date of crash
  • Time of crash
  • Investigating officer name
  • Officer badge number and department number
  • Witness names and addresses
  • Whether an incident report was made by the officer
  • Whether a ticket was issued by the officer

Is It Illegal for a Driver to Refuse to Give Their Information?

A driver who refuses to give their information when required by law commits a noncriminal traffic violation. They face penalties for a nonmoving violation as stated in Florida Statutes Chapter 318, Disposition of Traffic Infractions. In addition, if a party refuses to comply with requirements to remain at the scene of a crash and make required reports, they may be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

How do I get a copy of the other party’s insurance information after a crash?

You can purchase a Florida traffic crash report online. However, certain personal information is withheld except to interested parties. Florida Statutes § 324.242 allows the release of insurance policy information to a person involved in an accident, their attorney or their insurance company representative. You may complete an Insurance Request Form.

How do I get the driver’s insurance information after a crash?

The easiest way to get the driver’s insurance information after a crash is to ask them for it. A driver must provide injured parties and those attending damaged property with basic personal and vehicle information.

Gather any information that you can following an accident, including driver and witness information, and details for others involved in the crash. If you are able, take a photo of every vehicle’s license plate. Write down the information that you gather. It may be helpful to store the information in electronic form, by emailing or texting it to yourself or taking a photo.

A driver must provide their insurance information to law enforcement so they can prepare a collision report. If law enforcement doesn’t request the information, the parties must exchange the information themselves, either by making a self-report or by submitting an exchange of information.

How a Lawyer Can Help

Getting driver insurance information is critical following a crash. It may be an important first step in getting the compensation that you deserve for an accident. An attorney can assist you as soon as they become involved as your representative. We can request a copy of the traffic report and request insurance information for the other driver. Then, we build on law enforcement’s investigation to evaluate your right to compensation and pursue your case.

Get in touch with our attorneys

At Maderal Byrne & Furst, we advocate for the rights of car accident victims. We offer comprehensive legal representation that begins with gathering information including insurance policy information. We pursue all sources of compensation for our clients.

To discuss your situation and learn how we may assist you, please contact us.

Get In Touch

(305) 520-5690

Get in touch with Maderal Byrne & Furst PLLC by calling or using the form below:

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Maderal Byrne and furst updated Logo white

Get In Touch

(305) 520-5690

Get in touch with Maderal Byrne & Furst PLLC by calling or using the form below:

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.